Wednesday 21 August 2013

Eight Crrraaaazy Weeknights

For the past 8 weeknights, my son has had swimming lessons which land us home at 5:30pm. My challenge has to been to cook and eat supper, and get the kids in bed all by 7pm. I had to do some very focused meal planning to accomplish this feat. I understand that for a lot of you, this is your reality every day. My hat goes off to you. I am very excited that tomorrow is the last class...and we're picking up a pizza to celebrate.

Each day I will post the recipes. I apologize for the lack of pictures---I was in such a hurry to eat that the camera didn't make its way near the dinner table.

Tonight I bring you......
Chicken & Rice Casserole
(this is a version of a mexican chicken and rice that I posted here)

No creamy soups or onion soup mix in this one! There are only a handful of recipes with instant rice that I will make. This is one of them.

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 c heavy cream
1 cup instant rice
2 c frozen pea-carrot medley, thawed
salt and pepper
2 c shredded cooked chicken
20 ritz crackers, crushed to coarse crumbs

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 sec. Add broth and cream and bring to a simmer.
Stir in rice and pea-carrot medley. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into 8" baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes
Stir in chicken. Sprinkle cheddar evenly over top and top with cracker crumbs. Continue to bake until edges are bubbling and crumbs are toasted, about 5 minutes.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's recipe of Two-Cheeser Spinach Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment